Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Vlog: Three's A Crowd by Mary Lydon Simonsen


Author Mary Lydon Simonsen has decided to try her hand at writing a mystery series. While she has four Pride and Prejudice re-imaginings published by Sourcebooks Landmark and several other self-published works, her latest release, Three’s A Crowd, is Simonsen’s first published mystery.

There are so many features about Simonsen’s writing that I enjoy, the historical facts she carefully weaves in, the banter her characters have, the array of emotions I feel when reading one of her stories, and her humor. Even though Three’s A Crowd is a British police procedural mystery and not an Austenesque piece, Simonsen’s humor is on full display. Even though she might be writing in two different genres, all of the characteristics I love about Simonsen’s writing are exhibited in her new novel.

Listen in on a conversation between Patrick Shea and his partner and get a glimpse of the subtle humor.



Do you have an author who writes in different genres you enjoy reading? What are some of your favorite mysteries? 

6 comments:

  1. Sounds good!! I wasn´t so sure about it at first, since I don´t read many mysteries, but this really sounds like mysterius AND fun read, so I´ll definitly put it on my list of want-to-reads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the reasons I enjoyed this Katrin was because it wasn't a dark and scary mystery. Readers still get Mary's humor and a bit of a romance story too! This was a quick read as well! As always, I love hearing your thoughts after you read a book!

      Delete
  2. Great vlog post! I really like Patrick Shea. I like the excerpt that you picked, it shows, like you said, Mary's subtle sense of humor but it also gives Patrick a real feeling. He's not some super hero untouchable guy. I like him. A lot. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Candy! Patrick Shea is definitely someone you wouldn't mind bringing home to meet the folks! ;) I am really looking forward to reading more about him!

      Delete
  3. Hi Jakki. It was so much fun watching you read my novella. So glad you enjoyed it. Where's your British accent! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I wish I could speak with a British accent, Mary! Maybe I should watch more BBC shows! :) Glad you enjoyed it (even without an accent)!

      Delete